COMPANY DRIVER CAREERS
WHY CHOOSE HUNT TRANSPORTATION?
Hunt Transportation is part of Crete Carrier Corporation. We’re family owned and we take a family approach to our people. We want our drivers to succeed, and we’ll do everything we can to help. For starters, we believe in paying drivers what they’re worth—that’s why our compensation is based on practical miles rather than the mover’s guide.
We’re certified as one of the best-paying trucking companies in the nation with the top 50% of our drivers averaging $89,544 per year (or $1,722 per week). Add to that outstanding benefits, driver support, and open, honest leadership and you’ll see it makes sense to consider flatbed CDL jobs at Hunt Transportation.
Qualifications and Onboarding
Hunt Transportation takes pride in hiring the most professional truck drivers the industry has to offer. See our qualifications below.
- Valid Class A CDL
- TWIC Card or eligible to obtain – Hunt Transportation will cover 100% of the cost of all new and renewed TWICs
- One year of verifiable tractor-trailer experience
- Has passed the required company and DOT physical, the required drug test and the company in-truck driving test, and otherwise meets DOT requirements
- Has a stable, verifiable work history
- Has attained the minimum age of 22 years
- Has an acceptable driving record as reflected by MVR and PSP with no major preventable accident in the most recent five years
- No DUI or DWI convictions or positive drug screens or events in the past five years
- Be able to perform functions set forth in the job description
Orientation Schedule and Pay
As part of the employment process, all applicants cleared for hire by Hunt Transportation will be required to attend orientation in Omaha, Nebraska. Company drivers will be provided transportation to the orientation site, lodging, and meals. In addition, company drivers will be paid $85 per orientation day and $100 per securement training day upon successful completion of orientation and training.
- All Hunt Transportation drivers must pass the pre-work screen to be eligible to drive for our company. Upon completion of the drug screen and pre-work screen, you will proceed with your DOT physical, then on to orientation.
- The pre-work screen is a series of physical tests to determine a driver’s fitness to perform the necessary tasks expected of our drivers. Click here to watch the pre-work screen video.
- In the classroom, our drivers get introduced to Hunt’s mobile communication system, a trip planning refresher, a review of safety guidelines and cargo securement designed to keep you, and those with whom you share the road safe.
We participate in required DOT urinalysis along with hair follicle testing.
If you have questions about our program or other opportunities please call a driver recruiter at 888-228-9685.
Great Pay Every Day
Hunt Transportation offers one of the most competitive driver pay packages in the trucking industry and is independently certified as a Top Pay Certified Carrier by the National Transportation Institute.
If you have one or more years of verifiable experience, you may qualify to start on our National Fleet at our experienced truck driver pay rate. Drivers will be paid $.67 to $.70 per practical mile depending on experience over the last five years. In fact, the top 50% of our fleet average $89,544 per year.
Oversized Load Pay
Flatbed drivers are paid an additional $.10 per paid dispatched loaded mile on all permitted oversized loads. Approximately 1 in 7 loads are oversized.
Less than 15% of our loads require tarp. Many of the loads are pre-loaded agricultural freight which allows our drivers to tarp much less than other flatbed companies. If, however, a load requires tarp we will pay $50 and an additional $20 for re-tarps.
Safety / Productivity Bonus
A driver will be paid a $0.03 per mile bonus if he/she produces 18,600 or more delivered and paid practical route dispatched miles in a 2 month period while meeting the following criteria:
- No accidents
- No cargo claims
- No moving violations
- No log violations
- No out of service violations
Hunt Transportation will cover 100% of the cost of all new and renewed TWICs.
We pay an additional payment of $35 for any trip with a loaded length of haul of 350 miles or less. This includes relay segments of a trip if done at the direction of operations, and not done simply for driver convenience or by request.
If your load requires multiple stops in addition to the original pick up and the final delivery, you will receive stop pay of $30 per stop.
When a truck breakdown occurs, drivers are paid $100 for each 24 hour period—following the first 12 hours.
Professional truck drivers are the backbone of our business, and we appreciate all that they do. One way we show our appreciation is with exceptional pay, programs, and benefits. The benefit plan is effective for new hires the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
Health Care Benefits
Hunt Transportation offers health, dental, and vision insurance to drivers and their dependents. You can also set up health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts. Basic life insurance coverage and short-term disability coverage are automatically provided by the company. Additional insurance products are available to purchase.
When it comes to retirement, we have you covered! We offer a 401k account with a partial match on your contributions. In addition, we contribute, on average, an additional 2–3% of your annual pay into your profit sharing account.
Drivers receive paid vacation time based on years of service.
- One year of service earns one week of paid vacation
- Two years of service earns two weeks of paid vacation
- Ten years or more of service earns three weeks paid vacation
No need to use your vacation time—we’ll get you home for drill and training.
Receive up to $100 / day for jury duty
Additional Benefit Information
Dependents of drivers and other Hunt Transportation employees may be eligible for scholarships. Students who attend or will attend an accredited 2- or 4-year college or university anywhere in the United States are eligible to apply for the Crete Carrier Corporation Scholarship. Other scholarships are specifically targeted to students attending the University of Nebraska or Southeast Community College. More information on specific scholarship criteria is available on the scholarship page.
Policies and Programs
At Hunt Transportation, we think it’s important for our drivers to have a healthy work-life balance. That’s why you can always take friends and family out on the open road with you with our no-cost rider policy.
Authorized passengers include:
- One child, stepchild, foster-child, niece, nephew, or grandchild 4 years of age or younger (provided they are accompanied by the non-driving spouse or adult)
- One child, stepchild, foster-child, niece, nephew, or grandchild 5–18 years of age, with or without the non-driving spouse or adult
- One adult 19 years or older
Driver Referral Program
As a Hunt Transportation driver, you can earn unlimited income with our driver referral program. For every truck you help us fill, we will pay you an additional $1,000.
Our drivers enjoy year-round discounts and special offers from several national and local companies. The truck driving program includes everything from cellphones to restaurants.
Million Mile Program
Once a driver has exceeded one million career miles driven, they join the Million Mile Club. Decals are added to the driver’s truck to recognize this achievement.
Safe Driver Program
Earn awards for safe driving! We follow the ATA guidelines when honoring your commitment to safety. The criteria we follow are 12 months of employment, 100,000 miles/year, and no preventable accidents in the last 12 months. The awards that can be received include ATA pins, patches, cards, certificates, award letters, plaques, safe driving rings, dangles, and rings with diamond chips.
Hunt Transportation has always been a leader in innovative flatbed equipment. We are constantly updating our fleet to give our drivers peace of mind as well as the comfort they deserve. Our fleet is one of the newest in the industry with an average age of two years.
- Freightliner Cascadia Tractors
- 450 HP Detroit diesel engine
- Manual 10 speeds and automatic 12 speeds
- Midroof single bunks and double bunk high rise cabs
- Idle reduction technology with Opti-Idle
- OnGuard Technology
- Peoplenet satellite communication with electronic logs
- Bluetooth hands-free on all new trucks
Our trailers include: Reitnouer 53′ Aluminum Flatbeds, Reitnouer 53′ Aluminum Stepdecks, 53′ Benson Aluminum Stepdecks, and Fontaine 48’ Steel Combo RGNs. We take pride in our aluminum trailers, just like our drivers take pride in the freight they haul.
Aluminum 53′ Reitnouer Flatbeds / Stepdecks
The aluminum trailers have very little maintenance so our drivers can stay out of the shop, and have sliding winches making it more convenient to strap down cargo.
53′ Benson Aluminum Stepdecks
Our 53’ Benson aluminum stepdeck trailers are equipped with load levelers to convert trailers for flatbed freight. This means less down time swapping trailers for certain style of loads.
48′ Fontaine Removable Goose Necks (RGNs)
The RGNs are mechanical and are some of the lightest in the industry, and can hold up to 45,000lb machines.
Hunt Transportation also utilizes the Bestpass transponder for ease in paying tolls in locations where Bestpass is accepted, and has 24/7 Road Service Support for any flatbed equipment maintenance needs.